Mexican Black Bean Chickpea Pasta
500g Happy Earth People Red lentil/ chickpea pasta
3 mielies (corn on the cob)
1 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
1 tin black beans, drained and rinsed
200g cherry tomatoes, chopped
1 mango, chopped (optional)
1 tsp cumin
A dash of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
For the dressing:
2 avocados, peeled and de-stoned
Juice of 2 limes
1 handful fresh coriander (cilantro)*
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp onion powder
1 clove garlic, crushed
Salt to taste
1/2 cup filtered water, or more to desired consistency
1. Boil the pasta for 7 minutes according to package instructions, then drain and allow to cool.
2. Steam the mielies in the microwave for 8 minutes until cooked through but still crunchy.
3. In the meanwhile, chop up your onion, peppers, tomato, mango and add to the cooled pasta.
4. Cut the corn off the mielie cob and add to your pasta mixture along with the drained tin of black beans.
5. Season the pasta mixture with cumin and cayenne pepper and stir through.
6. For the dressing: add all the dressing ingredients, including the water, to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Once blended, add more water if necessary to smooth the sauce to your desired consistency and add salt to taste.
7. Pour the dressing over the pasta mixture and serve warm or cold, garnished with a sprig of fresh coriander.
*If you are not a fan of coriander, you can sub with fresh parsley or any fresh herb of choice.