Spekboom & Sweet Potato Soup
Spekboom is high in nutritional value, with a subtle lemony taste and a notable Vitamin C content. The leaves have long been used for medicine
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 cup Spekboom leaves (pick them late in the day or evening when the flavour is least acidic, otherwise they are too sour) 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups water
- Salt to taste
1. Fry the garlic in a tablespoon of olive oil before adding the diced sweet potatoes and turmeric. Toss to cover the potatoes.
2. Add 4 cups of water, the lentils, Spekboom, yeast flakes and salt to taste – bring to the boil.
3. Allow to simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
4. Either use a potato masher to create a thick and chunky soup, or use a blender to puree.
5. Serve with a sprinkling of micro greens on top.